Home » About Us » Who We Are » Our History
Diamond Lake Lutheran Church began in 1940 as a mission congregation of the Augustana Synod. The
new church was to serve the rapidly growing population of South Minneapolis.
Two lots were purchased at the south end of Diamond Lake for the congregation's first building - a small
wood-framed chapel painted red to resemble a country church in Sweden. By 1952, the congregation
needed more space for worship, and the present-day sanctuary - of gothic design and lannon stone
exterior - was built. In 1960, a building was constructed to the west of the sanctuary for church and
community activities, and a 1987 renovation filled in the space between the buildings.
Today, members of Diamond Lake Lutheran Church come not only from South Minneapolis but also
from many parts of the metro area. Diamond Lake is a member congregation of the Evangelical Lutheran
Church in America (ELCA).